A vegetarian take on a classic meat sauce. Perfect for Meatless Mondays or a delicious vegetarian dish any night of the week. This dish is packed full of vegetables, but is sure to please the whole family!
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, grated on the large hole of a box grater
~2 cups pearled cauliflower (HEB sells this in a bag)
1 can crushed tomatoes (~14 oz)
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
~1/3 cup red wine (I used a Chianti)
1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring.
3. Add wine, seasonings, and garlic and continue to stir.
4. Allow to simmer, covered over medium-low to low heat allowing the vegetables to cook down some (20 minutes or so).
5. Add cauliflower, can of tomatoes, and walnuts. Cook for about 15 more minutes and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve over al dente pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.